If you’re looking for the best hamster cage on the market, then look no further!
This blog post will help you find just what your little friend needs. From materials to size and shape, we’ll cover it all so that you can make an informed decision about which is best for your pet.
We hope this guide is helpful and wish you luck in finding a perfect home for your furry friend.
Why hamsters need a proper cage?
A hamster cage is a place where hamsters eat, sleep, and live.
Hamsters need their own cage because they are very social animals and they are not meant to be with other pets such as mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, or rabbits.
Besides that, a proper cage can avoid your hamster from escape and die. If a hamster escapes, there’s always the risk of never seeing it again.
Hamsters like to climb around on things which means that the owner needs to provide some kind of good toys for them.
They also need a wheel (or an exercise ball) for exercise purposes because without it, their muscles will shrink and they might get obese.
Features to look for in a good hamster cage
- A space large enough for your hamster to move around
- Have good ventilation for keeping the air fresh and avoiding smells to an extent
- Easy to disassemble and clean
- Transparent or glass walls so you can see your hamster at all times. That way if the hamster is off doing something that it shouldn’t be, you’ll be able to tell.
- The cages should have hiding places, shelves, and platforms inside them so that your hamster can climb, jump and burrow into interesting places
- Solid floors that cannot be shredded by the hamster’s teeth or paws
- Free accessories included such as a wheel, tunnels, hideout spots, or activity toys are necessities
Types of Cages: What is the best cage for a hamster?
There are two main types of hamster cages on the market today.
Some people like to have more room for their furry friends, while others prefer something smaller and easier to clean.
It’s important to find the type that suits you and your pet best.
Wire cages are the most popular cage on the market because they’re cheap, sturdy, and easy to clean.
They typically have a plastic bottom to protect your furry friends’ feet from wire damage and can be used for climbing purposes.
Wire cages also offer plenty of ventilation, are larger than those made from plastic, and don’t trap heat too badly.
When purchasing a wire cage, make sure that the cage has small gaps between the rods so that your hamster feet can’t get caught or head stuck between them.
Plastic cages are also a good choice for your hamster because they’re lightweight, cheap, durable, easy to assemble and dismantle for cleaning; come in many different shapes and sizes.
Besides that, they are more flexible than a wire cage which means they can take up less space in your home.
However, there are also cons because a plastic cage is less ventilation than wire cages, which makes it more difficult for your hamster to regulate its body temperature.
Many people choose to purchase a hamster wooden cage for their pets as wooden habitats are also easy to maintain.
Wooden cages are also environmentally friendly, too. However, there are still no tubes getting in your way; hence, easy to get into its interior.
The cages can be made of either softwood or hardwood and come in various shapes and sizes.
Softwood is said to be less expensive than hardwood, but both types provide some great benefits that make the cost worth it.
If you are thinking about moving your pet into a new cage or habitat, you might find our other article interesting: Moving your hamster to a new cage or habitat? 8 Tips to Make It Easy For You
How to clean your hamster’s cage
Cleaning a hamster’s cage is not too difficult, but it does require more time.
The first step is to remove all of the bedding and check the litter box for any soiled or wet bedding that may have been dumped in.
Check for dirty spots too where urine has accumulated as these need to be scrubbed clean with soap and a sponge until they’re spotless.
You also need to remove your hamster’s old/uneaten food, and spilled water and replacing them with the new one.
Cleaning should be done at least once a week and it’s also important to be sure there are no sharp or metal objects lying around, as hammies like strange things sometimes.
Top 7 Hamster Cages In The Market (2021)
Habitrail OVO Studio
The Habitrail OVO Studio provides a habitat for hamsters to explore, play and exercise.
The modular design allows your hamster to travel through various environments – from the top of the house in an upper-level deck to the bottom level of the home where there is a wheel and food bowl. It also can be used with other Habitrails products including tubes, balls, tunnels, and more.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE – All of the pieces are designed for a smooth fit, and all of the parts come together easily.
- LOCK CONNECTORS – Locking connectors are the most secure way to connect tubes, allowing you to create a habitat that is fully expandable.
- ACTIVE ENVIRONMENT – Your hamster will love exploring their new home with this Habitrail OVO Studio cage. It is a great way for them to exercise and stay healthy while also providing plenty of entertainment.
Favola Hamster Cage
The Favola Hamster Cage is the best choice for you and your hamster. It is a roomy, well-ventilated home with a solid base and two spacious floors to give your hamster plenty of space to run around.
This cage features top doors which make it easy to access your pets. It also can be easily disassembled and reassembled as needed.
- EASY MAINTENANCE – Perfect choice for hamster owners who are looking for an easy-to-clean habitat that’s also expandable.
- LARGE SPACE – With its large living space and multiple levels, the Favola Hamster Cage provides your pet with plenty of room to run around, play, and explore.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED – Equipped with a food dish, water bottle, hideaway, and 5.5-inch exercise wheel as well as tubes that connect to other Favolas so they can be part of an interactive play area.
Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage
The Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage is a spacious, multi-level hamster habitat that features a unique, two-story design and extra-large door for easy access.
It features an upper level with an exercise wheel, tubes, ramps, and a sleeping area while the bottom level has a full floor with lots of room to run and play.
This hamster cage includes a 1/2″ wire spacing which makes it ideal for a dwarf hamster, roborovski, and other small hamsters.
- SIZE & WEIGHT – Spacious habitat for your hamster with the size of 18.11″ L x 11.4″ W x 21.5″ H.
- EASY ASSEMBLY – Designed to be easily assembled by anyone. It comes with an instruction manual that guides you through the process of assembly step by step.
- FREE ACCESSORIES – This critter home comes with free accessories including a water bottle, food bowl, exercise wheel, nesting nook, and more.
The Habitrail Cristal is designed to be an ideal habitat for hamsters and other small animals.
It features a unique design that allows you to easily connect multiple habitats together that allows you to connect multiple habitats together so your hamster can move around freely within his environment.
- UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW – The clear cover allows you to enjoy watching your pet play without obstructions from the cover.
- EXCELLENT VENTILATION – A wire cage design at the top provides the ventilation your hamster need.
- EXPANDABLE – The Cristal is compatible with all other Habitrail brand items, and can be expanded to fit your hamster’s needs.
Kaytee CritterTrail 2-Level Habitat
Kaytee’s CritterTrail 2-Level Habitat is a great way to keep your small pet happy and healthy. The habitat features two levels of fun, allowing your animal to climb and play on both platforms.
A cage with a plastic bottom and metal mesh sides that allows excellent airflow and good visibility. It also comes with extra accessories such as a colorful water bottle and food bowl, a big exercise wheel, and others.
- 1/4″ BAR SPACING – The spacing between the bars of the cage is 1/4″, which makes it easy for small pets to get around without getting stuck or injured.
- COLORFUL – Your pet will love the bright colors of this habitat. It’s sure to bring fun into their home and your room.
- EXPANDABLE – The CritterTrail 2-Level Habitat is expandable and compatible with all Kaytee accessories.
Savic Heaven Metro Cage for Hamster
Savic Heaven Metro Cage for Hamster Metro Cage is a spacious hamster cage that features an extra-wide front opening, so it can be easily cleaned or take out of your hamster.
It has a solid base and two levels with lots of room for your pet to explore while the wire spacing is small enough to prevent escape but large enough to ensure air circulation.
The plastic pan allows you to monitor the condition of the bedding and can be removed for easy cleaning.
- SOLID METAL CAGE – The Savic Heaven Metro Cage for Hamster Metro Cage is made from heavy-duty metal wire making it strong enough to withstand even the most active of hamsters. Your pet will be safe inside this sturdy habitat.
- LARGE SIZE – The Savic Heaven Metro Cage for Hamster Metro Cage is a huge hamster cage that provides plenty of space for your pet to roam.
- MADE IN BELGIUM – All Savic products are designed and manufactured in the heart of Europe.
Amazon Basics Habitat Cage with Canvas Bottom
AmazonBasics Habitat Cage with Canvas Bottom is a perfect cage for small hamsters like a dwarf, roborovski, and large hamsters like Syrian.
The cage features a steel wire construction with a canvas bottom that makes it easy to clean and maintain.
Hamsters have a lot of energy and need to be able to run around. A large cage with lots of space is best for hamsters, but any type of cage will help provide them some room from which they can move about freely.
If you don’t know what kind or size of enclosure your pet hamster needs, it’s worth asking the store where you’re purchasing one or consulting an expert on animal care before making a purchase.
You’ll want to make sure that whatever habitat you choose offers enough breathing space for your new friend as well as plenty of bedding material and toys so he doesn’t get bored in his new home.